Hurricane Alex hit the Mexican coast hundreds of miles away, but we’re still getting a stiff breeze and periodic heavy rain all the way up here in Houston. It’s the best kind of hurricane to have — one that doesn’t affect us, but waters my yard and provides glorious thick cloud cover that lowers the temperature to more bearable numbers. After days of insane heat, yesterday’s “feels like 91″ felt downright pleasant. We even ate lunch outside! The nerve!
The gray sky and steady rain make me want to stay in bed. Since I can’t do that, it makes me contemplative. Back in January, I made a list of resolutions for 2010. Since we’re halfway through the year, I thought I’d check on my status and discovered that…I’m pretty much sucking at my resolutions so far.
- Finish my M.A. in Digital Media Studies. Um, not yet. And probably won’t by the end of the year. May 2011, anyone?
- Tackle this blog. I finally moved it to WordPress, and have been updating more regularly and with a wider variety of topics, like I intended. The one thing that remains is to redesign it, i.e. quit using the standard WordPress templates. The one I’m currently using is very functional, so I’m hoping to just tweak it here and there to make it look nicer.
- Make a budget. We’re saving at a good pace and living within our means, but we still haven’t actually made a budget. I want to do this to have a better understanding of where our money goes.
- Do the Lonestar Half Ironman. Big FAIL. Sigh. No excuses. I’ve done 1 olympic tri this year and 3 sprint tris already this year though, so at least that’s something.
- Get the house in order. The kitchen is half-painted (to a point where it could stay that way indefinitely). The garage is half-cleaned out. The study is organized, but not decorated. Plus, we decorated the bonus room. So I’m making good progress in this category!
- Make our wedding album. Another big fail so far. And we’re now past our 1st anniversary. But the year’s only half over! It could happen!
- Learn to sew. No action on this one. And I’m not sure I have enough interest to make it happen this year.
- Read 18 books this year. I think my count is 4.5 so far, so I’m way behind. I haven’t been able to make it to book club since February, which has hampered my efforts. Time to turn off the TV and read. I can still do this one.
So. Six months to go. I better pick up the pace!